My Qualifications & Tutoring Experience
I graduated from the University of Sheffield with a BSc (hons) in Chemistry with Study in Industry in 1999. My Industrial Studies involved a year working in the pharmaceutical industry as an analytical chemist.
Following graduation I embarked on a six year spell working in the steel industry in a variety of roles including metallurgical analysis, steel production and R&D. It was during this time in my life that I discovered that I was at my happiest and most productive when I was sharing ideas with other people, developing my knowledge and helping other people to develop theirs, as evidenced by my successful completion of a part-time MSc in Metals Technology and Management in 2004.
After much consideration, I took the decision to apply for teacher Training in 2005 and was appointed to my first teaching post in 2006. As much as I enjoyed my previous career, I found my true calling in the world of education and have never looked back.
In 2017 I began my 12th year as a full-time Teacher. During this time I have taught all science disciplines to GCSE level and Chemistry to A Level. I have been a Key Stage 3 and 4 form tutor for five years and a KS5 Head of Year for five years. I have worked in two outstanding schools with fantastic students and inspirational colleagues who challenge me to improve my teaching practice every day.
In January 2019 I decided to leave mainstream teaching to concentrate on developing a full time tutoring business. I was delighted to be welcomed to the Tutoring Team at G5 Education and look forward to this academic year.
"A Passion for all things Chemistry"
Naturally approachable teaching personality
Approaches are designed to get the very best from individuals
Identify students' strengths and weaknesses while providing targeted support in a positive way
Sharing ideas with students
Developing knowledge, helping students to develop their own knowledge base.
Preparation for final exams from the outset
Developing exam skills in knowledge focused lessons
Qualification & Experience
- University of Sheffield with a BSc (hons.) in Chemistry with Study in Industry
- Industrial Studies: Pharmaceutical Industry: Analytical Chemist
M.Sc. Metals Technology & Mgt.
- MSc. University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University
- Post Graduate Certificate of Education from University of Durham
QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
- Award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) by the Department for Education & Teaching Regulation Agency.
12 years full-time
- All Science disciplines to GCSE level
- Chemistry to A Level
- Both Schools Steve taught at were rated outstanding in science by OFSTED and the Independent Schools Inspectorate.
- A-level Chemistry examiner for AQA and GCSE examiner for Edexcel
Roles of Responsibility
- Key Stage 3 and 4 Form Tutor
- Key Stage 5 Head of Year
- Sixth Form Head of Year; UCAS applications for subjects; Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Engineering, Physics & Chemistry.
- Steve has been approved by DBS
G5 Education Gaurantee
Our Tutors have all been interviewed and fully vetted by the G5 team. We only hire tutors that are graduates of Russell Group Universities. Tutors have fulfilled our grade criteria and have passed a detailed application process to ascertain their commitment to their role. Our in house team of education expects have personally assessed each new tutor for them for subject knowledge, communication skills and general tutoring approach. All our tutors undergo a rigours induction and training programme and are regularly supported and assessed in order to uphold the highest quality assurance standards. Our exam results remain high and we continue to provide students worldwide with satisfaction. Every tutor who appears on our website have passed DBS check. If any client using our service has any concerns then please contact us immediately.